Monday, January 10, 2011

Banana Bread, meet Rum Cake

I'm a huge fan of anything with banana. When it comes to banana bread, I'm all in for trying different variations. Last Fall I came across a Cooking Light recipe for Bananas Foster Bread, and my eyes about popped out of my head. That could be the best sounding banana bread, ever. Why had I never heard of this before!!! Well, it is one of the best things ever, trust me. If you like banana bread, AND if you like rum cake, this will blow you awayyy!


The banana bread has a little dark rum in it, but the rum glaze on top of the bread seeps into it to give it such a great flavor. I couldn't help but be reminded of rum cake when I took my first bite.


Here is the recipe (Cooking Light):
Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c. mashed ripe banana
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
  • 6 tbsp. butter, melted and divided
  • 1/4 c dark rum
  • 1/3 c. plain fat free yogurt (I used Fage Greek yogurt)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c. ground flaxseed
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice (Didn't have this on hand)
  • 1/3 c. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 5 tbsp. melted butter, and 3 tbsp. rum in a skillet. Cook the mixture over medium until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and cool. Mix this mixture in a bowl along with remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, and eggs. Beat at medium speed.

Combine all the dry ingredients remaining (except for powdered sugar). Gradually add this mixture to the banana mixture, then pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and cool on wire rack. While the bread is cooling in the pan, mix together remaining melted butter, rum and the powdered sugar. Pour this delicious mixture over the warm bread and try to resist digging in right away. 





No comments:

Post a Comment