Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Love Ice Cream!

I don't really need to explain myself here, ice cream is my weakness. I don't have to be in the mood for ice cream, I'll eat it whenever, wherever. Particularly during the summertime, ice cream becomes a 4th meal in my day. I'm actually smiling while writing this because that's how much I love ice cream. I think it was meant to be when I moved back home and frozen yogurt bars popped up left and right at every major shopping center. We now have like, 7 in Greensboro. I'll thankfully never have to worry about a shortage there!

Earlier I mentioned the wonderful KitchenAid stand mixer that my wonderful boyfriend got for my birthday. And I believe I also mentioned that my mother got me an ice cream attachment to go along with it...!!! Yes, I can make my own now :). 

I was soo ready to make some creamy goodness on my birthday, so I read the manual which said to let the bowl freeze for at least 15 hours before using. I put the thing in the freezer, and checked on it a little later and it was cold! I thought it was frozen enough, but apparently 15 hours means 15 hours! I've always needed to work a little on that thing called patience...

Anyways, it all worked out and I got my homemade ice cream on the next try. 

My two most recent ice cream adventures were Peppermint (for the Holidays) and Strawberry Cheesecake ('cause its gooood). 

Both recipes were inspired by Cooking Light. 


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 can (14 oz) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup crushed peppermint candies

Combine 1 1/4 cups milk and egg yolks in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until slightly thick, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool this mixture slightly.

Combine egg mixture, 1 1/4 cups milk, vanilla, and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl. Cover and chill. Stir in the crushed peppermint candies, then pour the mixture into the freezer of an ice cream maker, and freeze according instructions. Move the ice cream from the ice cream freezer to a container and freeze until firm.


Ingredients:


2 cups granulated sugar (1 1/2 if you don't like it too sweet)
3/4 cup (6 oz) reduced fat cream cheese
4 large egg yolks
3 cups 2% milk
1 cup half-and-half (I used fat free)
3 cups strawberries chopped (blueberries in original recipe, I used frozen strawberries)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 -3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs

Combine sugar, cream cheese, and egg yolks in a bowl and beat well until smooth. In a saucepan, combine milk and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and pour half of the mixture into the egg mixture. Stir well and pour back into milk mixture and cook on medium-low for about 5 minutes. Cool this mixture completely either in the fridge or in a ice-filled pan.

In another saucepan, combine berries, water, and powdered sugar and heat until it begins to boil. Reduce the heat then allow the mixture to thicken while stirring constantly, about 8-10 minutes. Let this mixture cool completely, then pour into the milk/cream cheese mixture. Add to the ice cream freezer bowl and freeze according to manufacturers directions. The last 15 minutes is when I added the graham cracker crumbs. Store the ice cream in a container in the freezer. After dinner (and lunch), scoop out a bowl and drizzle with caramel sauce :).


What a coincidence they both happen to be PINK ice cream, just in time for Valentine's Day coming up ;).




No comments:

Post a Comment